How to Make a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

As the name suggests, a fishing rod is a tool that is used for catching fish in Minecraft. The process of crafting your own fishing rod can be a bit tricky at times. This guide will give you all the information you need on how to make a fishing rod in Minecraft.

How to Make a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

Required Materials to Make a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

You will need the following items to make a fishing rod:

  • 3 sticks
  • 2 strings

Video Guide How to Make a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

Step-by-step Guide to Craft a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

Step 1: Procure a crafting table

If you do not already have a crafting table, you can try looking for one in witch huts, igloo basements, and small village homes. You can also make your own crafting table by assembling any four planks of wood in your crafting grid. This will generate a crafting table on the right. Drag and drop this crafting table into your inventory.

Step 2: Gather some sticks

Sticks and strings are the only resources you will need to make a fishing rod. Sticks can sometimes be obtained by destroying dead bushes and leaves. Witches also drop anywhere between zero and six sticks upon death. Cartographer’s chests, fletcher’s chests, and toolsmith’s chests in villages also have a good chance of containing sticks. If you are unable to find sticks, they can be crafted by combining any two planks of wood. Open the crafting menu, place a plank of wood at the center of the 3×3 grid, and place another plank directly below it in the second square of the third row. Drag the resulting sticks into your inventory. Alternatively, you can follow the same process with two units of bamboo as well.

Step 3: Find strings

Strings can be obtained in a multitude of ways. To get strings, you can break cobwebs, kill spiders, get a gift from your cat, or simply craft your own string with a single cobweb. There’s a good chance that a dead spider will drop at least one string. If you want to craft your own, select your crafting table and place a single cobweb in the center square of the 3×3 crafting grid. This will generate a string that can be moved to your inventory.

Step 4: Craft the fishing rod

Select your crafting table and open the crafting menu. The sticks will have to be arranged in a diagonal fashion to successfully create a fishing rod. Place one stick in the third square of the first row, one in the second square of the second row (center of the grid), and the last one in the first square of the third row. Place the first string in the third square of the second row. Now, add the second string directly beneath the first string, in the third square of the third row. You will almost instantly see the fishing rod icon on the right. You can now drag and drop this into your inventory. You have now successfully made your very own fishing rod!

What Can You Do With a Fishing Rod in Minecraft?

Before you can begin fishing, you will need to find a waterbody. Once you are near a river or lake, you can try your hand at fishing. It really does not matter if you are standing on the bank, sitting on a boat in the middle of the waterbody, or even submerged underwater. Select your fishing rod and right-click on the water to cast a line. After a short period ranging from 5 seconds to 30 seconds, the bobber will briefly dip below the surface. This is when you need to quickly right-click once more. Do not always expect to catch a fish whenever you successfully reel in the line. Treasure items and junk are also commonly caught during fishing endeavors. If you do end up catching a fish, there are four major possibilities: raw cod, raw salmon, tropical fish, or pufferfish. Whenever you cast your line into a water body, you have a 5% chance of discovering treasures, a 10% chance of finding junk, and a massive 85% chance of catching a fish.

Like most other items in the game, fishing rods also get damaged over time. To repair a fishing rod, you can combine two damaged fishing rods in the crafting menu. Apart from fish, you can also use a fishing rod to harmlessly reel in other mobs and entities. Hooking a mob or entity and reeling it in will remove 5 points of durability from your rod.

Besthowtos

Minecraft how to guides to have plenty of fun! Get the best how to guides and tutorials for Minecraft and have fun building and discovering new fantastic worlds.

Recent Content