Bows are one of the only two craftable ranged weapons that can be used to fire arrows at targets. They are a great way of shooting down targets that are slow or low on health. This guide will tell you all you need to know about how to make a bow in Minecraft.
Required Materials to Make a Bow
To craft a bow, you will need:
- 3 sticks
- 3 strings
How to Make a Bow Minecraft
Step 1: Find or make a crafting table
Crafting tables are some of the most essential items in the Minecraft universe. You can build your own crafting table by combining any four planks of wood in your crafting menu. Drag and drop the crafting table into your inventory. If you prefer to look for crafting tables instead of making them with planks, you can find them in igloo basements and witch huts.
Step 2: Search for sticks and strings
Strings can commonly be found inside desert temples, pillager outposts, woodland mansions, and dungeons. Ensure that you search all the chests in these locations to maximize your chance of finding this item. Cobwebs, which can be found in igloo basements and mineshafts, can be used to craft strings. If you own a pet cat, it is quite likely to bring you strings as special gifts. Fishing and foraging through dead bushes and leaves are also good ways of obtaining strings. Sticks can be crafted quite easily by combining any two planks of wood or bamboo. Place the planks vertically in any two squares of the central column of the crafting grid to generate sticks.
Step 3: Craft your bow
Select your crafting table and open the 3×3 crafting grid. Place all three strings in the third column of the grid. Place two sticks in the first and third squares of the second column, and a single stick in the second square of the first column. A bow will appear on the square to the right. Drag and drop the bow into your inventory to complete the process.
If you are inclined to obtain a bow without using your crafting table, you can do this by killing ranged adversaries like skeletons, strays, or illusioners. They have a respectable 8.5% probability of dropping either a normal or an enchanted bow when killed by a player. The enchantment level on the bow can vary from 5 to 22. Trading and fishing are also viable ways of adding a bow to your inventory.
Using a Bow in Minecraft
Firing a bow is a fairly simple task. Use right-click to load an arrow, draw the bow, and aim at the target. The weapon will begin to shake after it is fully drawn. You can then release the button to fire the arrow. Creepers, skeletons, and strays are mobs that are vulnerable to ranged attacks. Boats and minecarts can also be destroyed using a fully drawn bow. Finding a good position to shoot from is the key to victory in a majority of encounters. Cliffs and other elevated terrains will give you an advantage over mobs that are attacking you from flatter terrain. Opponents wielding a sword will not be much of a threat if you are attacking from higher ground. Armor and shields, however, will quickly render your bow useless.
Enchantments for Bows
There are several enchantments that you can add to enhance the effectiveness of your bow. Here are some of them:
- INFINITY: This enchantment ensures that you never run out of arrows. You will need at least one arrow in your inventory for this enchantment to work.
- FLAME: The Flame enchantment will set your arrows on fire and causes enemies to take burn damage. Shooting pigs, chicken, and other livestock will cook the meat if this enchantment is equipped. TNT can also be detonated using flaming arrows.
- UNBREAKING: As bows tend to get badly damaged after 300 shots, adding this enchantment is a fantastic way of extending your bow’s lifespan and reducing the number of times you will be forced to repair the bow.
- MENDING: You might often find yourself frustrated by the constant need to repair your equipment. This enchantment will ensure that your bow regenerates its durability points over time.
- POWER: This is a generic enchantment that improves the damage output of your bow.