Farming is a fairly large part of Minecraft. Mushrooms are one of the many items that can be farmed. Mushroom farming can be quite tricky if you don’t know the exact conditions needed to grow them. This guide will help you understand everything you need to know about how to grow Mushrooms in Minecraft.
Different Types of Mushrooms
There are two types of Mushrooms present in Minecraft.
- Red Mushrooms: These appear red in color with white spots on them.
- Brown Mushrooms: These mushrooms are in a dull brown color.
It is also possible to make a Mushroom into a Huge Mushroom with the help of Bone Meal.
How to Grow Mushrooms in Minecraft Step-by-Step
Mushrooms only grow in areas that have a light level of 12 or lesser. They also take up 2 blocks of space in all directions, including diagonal blocks.
Step 1 – Make Space
Clear out a large room where you plan to grow Mushrooms. Since Mushrooms require low light, they must be grown inside buildings and rooms. The bigger the room, the more the Mushrooms that you can grow.
Step 2 – Place Torches
Now you need to place Torches around the room to maintain the light level between 8 and 12. This will prevent hostile mobs from spawning inside the room and wreaking havoc. Ensure that you put a door for better safety, to prevent a mob from entering the area from the outside.
Step 3 – Place Mushrooms
You need grass or dirt blocks to plant Mushrooms. For indoor farming, dirt is a better option. You can dig up dirt using a Shovel and then place it inside the room. When planting Mushrooms, ensure that you leave at least two blocks of space in every direction.
Step 4 – Adjust Light Level
As soon as you place Mushrooms on the soil, if they pop out right away, it is a sign that there is too much light. You need to make the room darker. A simple way to do this is by removing some of the torches placed around the room. Another way is to dig a hole into the wall and place the torch inside the hole to reduce the intensity of light.
Step 5 – Wait for Mushroom to Spread
Once you have placed the Mushrooms, they will begin to spread. This may take quite a while. Keep coming back to your farm to check on the progress. Note that if there are more than 5 Mushrooms in a small area, it will stop spreading. You need to keep continuously planting Mushrooms to ensure that you have a large enough farm.
Video Tutorial How to Grow Mushrooms in Minecraft
Quick Tips to Grow Mushrooms in Minecraft
- You can obtain Mushrooms from Mooshrooms. Mooshrooms are rare mobs that appear exactly like a cow, with red mushrooms growing on them. They drop anywhere between 3 to 5 Mushrooms when sheared and then turn back into normal cows.
- Mooshrooms and Mycelium appear in the incredibly rare Mushroom Biome. Mycelium is a special and rare grass block that is ideal to grow Mushrooms. Mushrooms can grow in any light level and spread faster when grown on Mycelium. Hostile mobs cannot spawn on Mycelium blocks, making them all the more suitable for growing Mushrooms. They cannot be used to grow any other plants except Mushrooms. One block of Mycelium can be used to convert all the neighboring and adjacent blocks of grass into Mycelium.
- Mushroom Biomes can only be found in the ocean as remote islands.
- You can use any tool, including a Sword to harvest Mushrooms.
- Mushroom stops spreading if the game detects more than 5 Mushroom blocks within a 9×9 region.
- Mushrooms can also spread to blocks above and below.
- If there is sufficient space, and you add Bone Meal, Huge Mushrooms that are several blocks in height will grow. You can harvest them to obtain 20 Mushrooms. You can use an ax to cut down these Huge Mushrooms.
- Mushrooms can also be found it the Nether, although they cannot spread over Netherrack. If you want to harvest Mushrooms in the Nether, the simplest method is to bring Dirt and Bone Meal along with you from the Overworld and then use it to grow and harvest Huge Mushrooms.
- Mushrooms cannot be eaten directly but must be made into Rabbit Stew or regular Stew before consuming. They replenish 6 Hunger Points.
- Note that Stew cannot be stacked in your inventory, and can hence take up a lot of space in your inventory.